Three men are dead following a San Diego mosque shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego in the Clairemont neighborhood on Monday, May 18, 2026. Two teenage suspects — ages 17 and 18 — were found dead in a vehicle several blocks away, apparently from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, shortly after the attack. San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl confirmed five people total are dead. Police are investigating the shooting as a hate crime until evidence rules it out. President Trump has been briefed by the FBI. The Islamic Center has established a victim support fund, and authorities have urged anyone with information to call 1-800-CALL-FBI.
What Happened and When
Police received a call reporting an active shooter at the Islamic Center of San Diego at approximately 11:43 AM. Officers responded within four minutes of being called. They found three men dead inside the complex, including a security guard at the center. Separately, police received reports of shots fired a couple of blocks away, where the suspects allegedly fired at a landscaper who was not injured. The two teenage suspects were then found dead in a vehicle stopped in the middle of a road nearby.
Chief Wahl said that before the attack at 9:42 AM, police had already received a call from the mother of one of the suspects. She reported that her son was suicidal, had run away from home, that her vehicle and weapons were missing, and that her son was with a companion — both dressed in camouflage. Police dispatched officers to locations they believed might be at risk while pursuing the investigation, and as they were continuing to interview the mother, reports of the shooting came in.
Aerial television footage showed more than a dozen children holding hands and being walked out of the parking lot of the center as it was surrounded by law enforcement vehicles. Five San Diego Unified schools in the surrounding area were placed on lockdown, which were later lifted.
The Security Guard: Amin Abdullah
Among the three victims was a security guard at the Islamic Center. Chief Wahl said police believe the guard played a pivotal role in keeping the attack from being significantly worse.
“It’s fair to say his actions were heroic,” the chief said at a news conference. “Undoubtedly he saved lives today.”
A family friend identified the guard as Amin Abdullah, a well-known face at the mosque who had been working there for more than a decade. “He wanted to defend the innocent so he decided to become a security guard,” said Shaykh Uthman Ibn Farooq, who had spoken with Abdullah’s son. None of the other victims have been publicly identified.
The Hate Crime Investigation
Police Chief Wahl said the department is treating the shooting as a hate crime because it took place at the Islamic Center, until evidence can demonstrate otherwise. Wahl also noted that authorities found evidence the suspects engaged in “generalized hate rhetoric” but declined to provide further specifics, saying more details about the circumstances would emerge in the coming days.
The FBI confirmed it is also investigating the shooting. President Trump was briefed by the FBI. The bureau announced a tip website for information related to the case and said tips can also be submitted by calling 1-800-CALL-FBI. Wahl said in 28 years of policing, the response to this incident was the most dynamic and impressive he had seen, with agencies from across San Diego County participating.
The Suspects
The two suspects were ages 17 and 18. Police believe they died by suicide in the vehicle where they were found. Their identities have not been publicly released. The mother of one of the suspects had contacted police hours before the attack, reporting suicidal ideation, missing weapons, and a missing vehicle — information that put police in active pursuit before the shooting occurred. The detail that police were already searching for the suspects when the attack began is one of the most significant procedural elements of the investigation.
The Islamic Center of San Diego
The Islamic Center of San Diego is the largest mosque in San Diego County. The center is located in the Clairemont neighborhood and houses the Al Rashid School, which offers courses in Arabic language, Islamic studies, and the Quran for students ages five and up. The complex holds five daily prayers and works with other organizations and people of all faiths on social causes. Its website states its mission includes working with the larger community to serve the less fortunate, to educate, and to better the nation.
Imam Taha Hassane, the center’s director, called the attack “extremely outrageous to target a place of worship” and said all students and staff were safe. “All the places of worship in our beautiful city should always be protected,” he added. He noted that a group of non-Muslims had been touring the mosque earlier that Monday to learn about Islam.
Community and Political Response
San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria attended the press conference alongside Chief Wahl. “Hate has no place in the City of San Diego,” Gloria said. “We will do anything it takes to make sure you feel safe in this city.”
California Governor Gavin Newsom’s press office confirmed the governor had been briefed and that the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services was coordinating with local law enforcement.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations San Diego Executive Director Tazheen Nizam condemned the attack. “We strongly condemn this horrifying act of violence at the Islamic Center of San Diego. Our thoughts are with everyone impacted by this attack. No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at an elementary school.”
The Islamic Center has established the Official ICSD Victim and Family Support Fund to support individuals and families impacted by the shooting, available at goodbricks.org.
Broader Implications: A Community Processing an Unimaginable Morning
The San Diego mosque shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego is one of the most serious attacks on a place of Islamic worship in California’s recent history. The center has been a cornerstone of the Clairemont community and San Diego County’s Muslim community for decades, working deliberately across faith lines on interfaith relations and civic service.
The fact that the attack was carried out by teenagers, that police were already seeking one of the suspects for a welfare concern hours before the shooting, and that a security guard gave his life protecting worshippers and students will define how this community processes what happened on May 18. The investigation into the motive, the source of the weapons, and the background of both suspects is ongoing. The FBI’s involvement alongside San Diego police means federal hate crime statutes are also being evaluated. For more on the biggest stories in news and public safety, visit The Tech Marketer.
Latest Updates
The investigation into the San Diego mosque shooting is active. Here is where to follow the full coverage:
- FOX 5 San Diego has the complete breaking news coverage of the Islamic Center of San Diego shooting, including the chief’s press conference details, the suspect ages and circumstances, the security guard’s role, school lockdowns, and the FBI tip line. Read more at FOX 5 San Diego
- NBC 7 San Diego via the Associated Press has the full AP report on the teenage gunmen who opened fire on the San Diego mosque, including the police chief’s full briefing on the timeline, the mother’s prior call to police, the CAIR statement, and the victim identification of security guard Amin Abdullah. Read more at NBC 7 San Diego
- KPBS has the full public safety coverage of the Islamic Center shooting, including Mayor Todd Gloria’s press conference statement, the imam’s response, school lockdown updates, and the victim support fund established by the Islamic Center. Read more at KPBS
FAQ: San Diego Mosque Shooting
1. What happened at the Islamic Center of San Diego on May 18, 2026? Two teenage suspects, ages 17 and 18, opened fire at the Islamic Center of San Diego in the Clairemont neighborhood at approximately 11:43 AM on May 18, 2026. Three men were killed, including a security guard at the center. The suspects were found dead in a vehicle nearby, believed to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Five people total died in the incident.
2. Is the San Diego mosque shooting being investigated as a hate crime? Yes. San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl confirmed at a press conference that police are investigating the shooting as a hate crime because it occurred at an Islamic Center, until evidence demonstrates otherwise. The FBI is also investigating. Wahl said authorities found evidence the suspects had engaged in “generalized hate rhetoric.”
3. Who was the security guard killed in the San Diego mosque shooting? A family friend identified the security guard as Amin Abdullah, a well-known face at the Islamic Center of San Diego who had worked there for more than a decade. Chief Wahl described his actions as heroic, saying he “undoubtedly saved lives” by his response during the attack.
4. How can people help victims of the San Diego mosque shooting? The Islamic Center of San Diego has established the Official ICSD Victim and Family Support Fund to assist individuals and families affected by the shooting. It is available at goodbricks.org. Anyone with information about the attack can contact the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI or through the FBI’s dedicated tip website for this case.
5. What is the Islamic Center of San Diego? The Islamic Center of San Diego is the largest mosque in San Diego County, located in the Clairemont neighborhood. It houses the Al Rashid School, holds five daily prayers, and works with people of all faiths on community and social causes. Its mission is to serve not only the Muslim community but also the broader San Diego community through education and civic engagement.
Sources and References
- FOX 5 San Diego: 3 Killed in San Diego Mosque Shooting, and 2 Suspects Found Dead
- NBC 7 San Diego / Associated Press: Teenage Gunmen Open Fire on San Diego Mosque, Killing 3 Men and Then Themselves
- KPBS: Police Investigate Islamic Center Shooting as a Hate Crime





